* A Grey Import is a product sourced from outside of the UK. Grey Importers will not include the valuable addition of a UK Warranty that adds peace of mind, particularly when purchasing expensive products. So, if there is a fault with the product it will most likely be rejected by the manufacturer for repair under warranty. Some manufacturers offer additional years of warranty in the UK, and a Grey Import would not qualify for this.
* Grey Importers may not include VAT in the total price, which means that if the goods get lost during transportation, it is the customers responsibility to deal with the issue. The retailer will not show any further interest in solving any problems you may have after payment has been made. You may also need to pay import duty and VAT, not to mention separate Post Office fees, making that once ‘incredible price’ not so incredible after all.
* Grey Importers may sometimes remove additional accessories, in order to sell them as separate extras that should originally be included with the product. Accessories such as lens hoods, caps, chargers and cords, which are included when bought from an authorised dealer.
* Grey Importers often remove products from their original protective packaging, and store them in damp, humid conditions that encourage fungal growth within the optics. This seriously affects the efficiency and life span of the product.
* Some Grey Importers that operate within the UK, but source their products from outside of the UK may advertise on their site that they are a ‘UK Based Company’. However be weary of this, as they rarely also advertise that they sell ‘UK Stock’.
* You cannot claim any promotional cash back on a Grey Import product.
* Grey Importers also offer no additional service that an authorised dealer takes pride in offering. They cannot offer demonstrations, knowledgeable advice or aftercare of any kind. Grey Importers have a huge impact on our company, even though we take pride in our excellent customer service and care.